Monday, September 22, 2014
I find the connections Evan made between post WW2 anxieties and The Egger's anxiety towards the death in their family to be very interesting as they were more obscure traces of hipsterism within the writing. What I found to be the most "in your face traces of hipsterism within the novel was more related to a modern view of the word. The themes of self-consumption, materialism, and generational gaps were obnoxiously depicted with the authors linkage of satire to these themes. I think the ambitions of Dave best exemplify these themes. His desire to publish Might Magazine and star in Real World on MTV reminded me of the irony of hipsterism today and how it has come to the forefront of media attention yet still preaches exclusivity from the masses.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.